To work in the construction industry you’re required to have a CSCS card. CSCS is the leading skills certification scheme within the UK construction industry. CSCS cards provide proof that individuals working on construction sites have the required CSCS Card Course training and qualifications for the type of work they carry out. This is because as well as being a highly profitable industry, the construction industry is also a very dangerous one, so undergoing relevant CSCS Card Training is extremely crucial. There are over fifteen different types of CSCS cards, each representing a specific skill or trait.
The most popular card is the CSCS Green Construction Site Operative card. The CSCS Green Card is the minimum entry level ticket to a construction site. Whether you’re a site operative, cleaner, traffic banksman or a security officer you’ll need a CSCS Green Card, so it’s always a good idea to have one!
There are 3 steps to getting a CSCS Green Card:
1. Attend one day CSCS Card Training (also known as the Level 1 Award in Health & Safety in a Construction Environment Course).
2. Pass the Operatives Health Safety & Environment Test.
3. Call CSCS on 0344 994 4777 and pay a fee of £30 for the card.
Quite simple right? But remember you need to pass step 1 and 2 before you can apply for the card. You won’t get the CSCS Card by just doing step 1 or step 2. So think of it like getting a Driving Licence, just like how you have to pass a theory test AND a practical test before you can get a Driving Licence, in the same way you need to pass the one day CSCS Card Course and the CITB test before you can get CSCS Green Card.
CSCS Card Course Outline:
- Principles of risk assessment for maintaining and improving health and safety
- Importance of safe manual handling in the workplace
- Importance of working safely at height in the workplace
- Risks to health within a construction environment
- Importance of working around plant and equipment safety
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does the course usually take?
• The course usually runs for one day.
2. Will certificates be provided for each participant?
• Yes. Certificates from British Safety Council are given to participants.
3. How long is the validity of the CSCS Card Training?
• The CSCS Card Course (Level 1 Health & Safety in a Construction Environment) is valid indefinitely
4. Can this one day CSCS Card Training be delivered on my site at a date of my choice if I have a group of staff members that need training?
• Yes, for group booking we can deliver the CSCS Card Training on site at a date of your choice.
5. How hard is the CSCS Card Course exam?
• This Level 1 qualification is only an entry level course, which means usually most people find the exams extremely easy.
6. Do you need prior experience in the construction industry to attend the CSCS Card Course?
• No, you do not need prior experience or qualifications to attend the CSCS Card Training.